Nobody wants to see those blue lights in their mirror. Getting stopped can be stressful, especially if you have a CDL license. For truck drivers, a harsh ticket doesn’t just mean loss of time and money, as well as higher insurance rates. It can mean the difference between keeping and losing your job. In such a stressful situation it’s easy to say or do the wrong thing. Don’t make it worse for yourself. Try to keep calm and remember these tips:
1. DO Be Polite. No matter how unfair or annoying or scary it may feel, you don’t want to give the ticketing officer a reason to hold a grudge.
2. DON’T Argue. The officer is the one holding the ticket-book. You’re not going to win any arguments on the side of the road, but don’t worry. There are legal ways to address injustices later. One of these is to let CDL Legal’s attorneys do the arguing for you.
3. DO Come Prepared. Have all your paperwork ready for the officer. Always keep it together and handy from the driver’s seat. An officer who has to spend less time waiting for you in order to start their paperwork is less likely to write a harsh ticket. Show them and their time respect, and they’re more likely to respect you.
4. DO Be Careful What You Say. Officers are trained to ask leading questions that seem harmless but are designed to pull answers that can and will be used against you in court. Some examples include: “How are you feeling today?” Any answer that suggests you aren’t 100% is grounds to argue for “Driving While Impaired.” “Do you know why I pulled you over?” A yes or even a guess can be spun to show you admitting guilt.
When (or if) you get the ticket: 5. DO Read the Ticket Carefully Before You Sign. Make sure you are not signing a guilty plea.
6. DO make sure you know What the Charges Are and How Many Days you have to respond to the court.
7. DON’T Just Pay the Fine. There is more to a ticket than just a fine. If you just pay the fine and don’t fight the ticket in court, points are added to your license and reported through the Commercial Driver’s License Information System (CDLIS) to your home state. Add to that, your professional and personal insurance may go up. Most importantly, though, you are one step closer to being unemployable! 8. DO Consult With CDL Legal. Make sure you’re protected. We will walk through the legal process with you and get you the best possible outcome. How do we do this? With our network of vetted local attorneys who all have CDL legal experience and an investment in getting you a win. How well do we do this? Our success rate in court for keeping points off CDL licences is over 95%!
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of CDL Legal membership, send us an email at email@example.com or give us a call at 913-738-4836.
Source: CDL LEGAL